Pages

Tuesday, October 1, 2013

Wonton Blog

(Luke's title choice. No relevance whatsoever.)

Remember when I posted semi-regularly? Neither do I.

I would love to find the one who is holding down the fast-forward button on our lives (because ours would be a VHS tape, clearly) and ask them to lay off for a while. Pretty please?

Let's see...I made it through exactly two weeks as an Account Clerk trying to wrap my brain around water billing cycles and customer privacy laws and title companies and....oh, I lost you?
Right. So it was confusing at best. But a multi-tasking cheery machine I am not, and when there were customers on the phone trying to start and stop and start and stop service, anywhere else in this whole wide land would have been better to be.

A little dramatic? Yes, sir. But I could tell it wasn't my gig, and I was already stressing about how I would force myself to do that job for at least the necessary year to prove I actually was capable of staying with a job. I made it to my second Friday when I was asked to meet with my supervisor and HER supervisor.  Had I really screwed something up so much in two weeks? Really?
Instead, they asked me how I was liking the job. I took the semi-honest route and admitted to being uncomfortable with some of it, but for the most part I was catching on. Lots of nods, yeps, goodtohears. Then they started telling me how they've been interviewing for the open payroll position, but hadn't found the right person yet, so they wondered if I would want it? They like to hire from within (at which I couldn't help but blurt "I've only been here two weeks!" And my boss said, "Well, you've shown up every morning!"), so they moved me up.

Jump ahead to this week, and here we are scrambling to learn payroll and daydreaming about snappy responses to "So...how old are you? Did you understand any of that?" that I'll never use. Out of the frying pan, etc. etc.

Maybe I'll post a video of our latest efforts to get Roger to jump through our arms? Maybe not?

Aaaaaand we're rolling up on 9:30 pm now so...na night. Adulthood at its wildest. 


No comments:

Post a Comment